Cellphone outage hits AT&T customers nationwide; Verizon and T-Mobile users also affected (2024)

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Fox Business ^ | 2/22/24 | Pilar Arias , Louis Casiano

Posted on 02/23/2024 6:23:37 AM PST by Roman_War_Criminal

Tens of thousands of AT&T customers were left without service for hours on Thursday for their home phone, internet and mobile phone services, according to Downdetector.

The outages started popping up just before 3:30 a.m. ET, according to a graph shown on the website that tracks outages. Just before 2 p.m. ET, the number of reports had declined drastically to nearly 4,900 after spiking at more than 73,000 just after 9 a.m. ET.

Most users still impacted, 51%, say they are having issues with mobile phone service. Forty percent of customers currently reporting being affected say they have no signal at all, and 9% of users say their mobile internet is down.

"Should get a stimulus check for this," one man wrote on the website.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxbusiness.com ...

TOPICS: Business/Economy; Culture/Society; News/Current Events; Unclassified
KEYWORDS: att; cellphones; cme; phoneoutage; tmobileNavigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-20,21-24 next last

1posted on 02/23/2024 6:23:37 AM PSTby Roman_War_Criminal

[Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Roman_War_Criminal

If I were the Iranians or Chinese or whoever might have cyber attacked us yesterday as a test, I might consider doing it at a time of increased solar activity. It gives the lazy Fs in the Pentagon an easy excuse to look the other way.

2posted on 02/23/2024 6:29:02 AM PSTby hardspunned(Former DC GOP globalist stooge)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Roman_War_Criminal

“Should get a stimulus check for this,” one man wrote on the website.

~~~
Sorry to be off the main topic of the article, but I couldn’t help reacting to this.

That quote is very inductive of the post covid mindset. The new normal is an escalated sense of entitlement. Probably a Millennial or Gen-Z’er. A refund or rebate partially on the bill for time without service is fair. Wanting a cashy handout is silly, and if it’s a joke, no one is laughing.

3posted on 02/23/2024 6:29:18 AM PSTby z3n(Kakistocracy)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Roman_War_Criminal

73K customers is like a grain of sand on a beach

4posted on 02/23/2024 6:29:25 AM PSTby NWFree(Sigma male 🤪)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Roman_War_Criminal

They said it was a “glitch”....now I know it was a cyber attack.

5posted on 02/23/2024 6:30:22 AM PSTby mikelets456

To: Roman_War_Criminal

The “Official” explanation is that the problem was caused by a failed software update.

6posted on 02/23/2024 6:33:59 AM PSTby Yo-Yo(Is the /Sarc tag really necessary? Pray for President Biden: Psalm 109:8)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: mikelets456

It was a test for more to come...

Personally, I had an “SOS” on my phone where the signal strength would be. There is a mode where you can use WIFI to make outgoing calls, but couldn’t get that to work. I suppose this WIFI call mode is mainly for 911 calls.

7posted on 02/23/2024 6:36:10 AM PSTby C210N(Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Roman_War_Criminal

Software update that forwards all of your data to the NSA and CHiComs went wrong. Nothing to worry about.

8posted on 02/23/2024 7:00:02 AM PSTby jdt1138(Where ever you go, there you are.)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Roman_War_Criminal

Yesterday must have been a slow news day. AT&T has 100 Million customers. An outage involving fewer than 100,000 customers (0.1%) for a brief time is not worth all of the breathless reporting. Get a grip, people.

9posted on 02/23/2024 7:02:57 AM PSTby NautiNurse(🇺🇸 Bidenomics: "Over a billion three hundred million trillion three hundred million dollars!")

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Roman_War_Criminal

They say it was a “GLITCH.”

Years ago I made it a policy in my area that there were no “glitches.” Little gremlins did not live in the network cables that I managed. Connectors did not just become unconnected. Stuff just doesn’t “happen” without explanation.

(Yes...power supplies burn out and parts are faulty....the world IS an unperfected place. But even those come with an explanation and solution/prevention.)

No one was allowed to come in my office and discuss a system failure and use the term “glitch.”

That phrase drives me nuts. Its such a BS excuse.

10posted on 02/23/2024 7:05:05 AM PSTby Vermont Lt(Don’t vote for anyone over 70 years old. Get rid of the geriatric politicians.)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Roman_War_Criminal

Not just cell phone, TPTB are trying to get us to focus on AT&T.

The service loss was far broader that that.

3 X Class Solar Flares, Satellite/Network Issues, Biggest Flare of the Cycle | S0 News Feb.23.2024

Pay no attention to the other outages...

...or else!

11posted on 02/23/2024 7:09:18 AM PSTby null and void(I identify as a conspiracy theorist. My personal pronouns are told/you/so.)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Roman_War_Criminal

Solar flares knocking out insufficiently shielded satellites out of their orbit resulting in Candy Crush having the lowest production day since its inception. Nothin nefarious unless you fear the wrath of God.

12posted on 02/23/2024 7:11:43 AM PSTby Delta 21(If anyone is treasonous, it is those who call me such.)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: NWFree

73K customers is like a grain of sand on a beach

73K is the number of reported problems.

How many couldn't report because, oh I dunno, they had no cell service!

13posted on 02/23/2024 7:11:58 AM PSTby null and void(I identify as a conspiracy theorist. My personal pronouns are told/you/so.)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: C210N

If you have a router at home with a WiFi provider such as Verizon, you should have no problem in making calls because the calls are going over the internet.

You aren’t using cell towers.

All of my calls are wifi calls as well as everything else on the internet.

Zero costs on my phone for anything other than my monthly wifi bill.

I only use cell service when I am not at home.

14posted on 02/23/2024 7:12:41 AM PSTby justme4now(Our Right's are God given and I don't need permission from politicians or courts to exercise them!)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Delta 21

Candy Crush is on AT&T? Inconceivable!

(see post #11)

15posted on 02/23/2024 7:25:20 AM PSTby null and void(I identify as a conspiracy theorist. My personal pronouns are told/you/so.)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: C210N

Same for me and how many other tens of thousands or millions of others?

16posted on 02/23/2024 7:39:45 AM PSTby Freee-dame

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: null and void

These are numbers based on websites that track outages specifically according to the news. There were a few other carriers that had a few outages and they were named as well. The numbers are about as high as one month of illegal alien crossings.

17posted on 02/23/2024 7:57:52 AM PSTby NWFree(Sigma male 🤪)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Roman_War_Criminal

Quick to come out with program/computer problems. Me thinks something is afoul!

18posted on 02/23/2024 8:01:50 AM PSTby Road Warrior ‘04(BOYCOTT Anheuser Busch, the NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR & Faux Snooze! Molon Labe! Oathkeeper! )

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: NWFree

Are you CERTAIN those numbers are accurate, as accurate as for example, the COVID death numbers?

Unemployment numbers?
Inflation percentages?
Vote counts?

19posted on 02/23/2024 8:22:31 AM PSTby null and void(I identify as a conspiracy theorist. My personal pronouns are told/you/so.)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: null and void

I’m certain it’s the least of our problems

20posted on 02/23/2024 8:30:37 AM PSTby NWFree(Sigma male 🤪)

[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-20,21-24 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic